Have a suggestion or want to join our Schoolyard Enhancement team? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to volunteer.
John English JMS is:
- A home away from home for over 800 children and their parents who attend the elementary school.
- A prominent community school with after hours programming offered by several organizations, including the City of Toronto Parks and Recreation Department.
- An old facility built in 1910, with a large addition in the 1950s. Over the years it has served many students – high school, elementary and adult.
Our children spend time each and every day playing and exercising, at recess and after hours in the schoolyard. Often, families return to John English many times throughout the day, on weekends and in the summer.
Age and change of use over the years has led to a need for upgrades to the outdoor facilities.
In recent years, there has been a concerted effort by the school leadership to create new opportunities for play and to engage the children in programs that direct free playtime in a productive and active manner.
Some of the many schoolyard improvements over the past several years:
- painted lines on tarmac behind school
- new figure 8 track and playscape
- stone seating area
- baseball diamond
- gardens at front and Mimico Ave. side of school
To this end, the SAC School Yard Enhancement committee aims to collaborate, advocate, and support school yard improvements by fundraising and volunteering time and resources to various upgrades and programs.
But… WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Parent/Child Planting Event – mid-May
- Schoolyard Sweep and Rake (ie every other Wednesday)
- Outdoor Sports Equipment – (classroom equipment, tricycles and sand toys)
- PALS parent support
- Outdoor Art Projects – hand print mural
- Hardscape additions – children’s teaching garden and balancing logs
- Toyota Evergreen Learning Grounds grant proposal – December Submission Date
For more information on how you can help, or if you have other ideas on how to improve the John English schoolyard please email email@example.com for more information and to volunteer.
We appreciate the time, resources of the school board and the SAC volunteers. We are in need of further assistance including corporate sponsors to help with our programming – every bit helps!