WHAT IS A ‘SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCIL’?
École John English School Council is a provincially mandated advisory group who work together to provide ideas and opinions to assist the principal, the school board and the Ministry of Education in making École John English Junior Middle School a progressive centre for learning. We seek to establish and maintain excellent and ongoing communication between the students, staff, parents, and community members. We encourage parents and community members to participate in their children’s education in partnership with the school staff.
Parent representatives come forward from the school community with executive positions elected every new school year. Our school staff elects teaching staff and non-teaching staff representatives. The elected members of School Council appoint up to two community representatives annually. The principal is a mandated member of the School Council.
We meet monthly to receive updates from the principal on school activities and upcoming initiatives as well as reports on school board and Ministry of Education changes, which may impact John English. The principal consults with the school council on decisions to be made impacting students, parents and/or the community. Minutes are posted on the parent information board in the foyer and here on our school website.
Parents are welcome to attend all meetings and help make decisions about how they can continue to support our students and program. Everyone is welcome!
We pledge to work in partnership with the parents of John English, our community and the school to meet our collective education and school goals and challenges in a positive and constructive manner.
- To promote and maintain a positive school environment for all students and staff at École John English Junior Middle School.
- To identify current issues and concerns within our school and discuss appropriate action for change and/or improvement.
- To develop strategies and solutions regarding the above which will involve a collaborative effort by teaching staff, parents, students and administration.
- To promote and encourage communication between home and school, thus empowering parents with a shared responsibility for their child(ren)’s educational experiences.
- To keep up to date on current trends in education and to share this knowledge with the school community on a regular basis.
- To provide staff, parents, and students with an accountable system to which they can voice their concerns, comments, and suggestions for future consideration.